Friday, June 01, 2007

first fruits of summer

School is out. YAY! This means time to read. For one of the first times, I have no real desire to read something specific. (This is weird because I usually end the school year with s list a mile long.) I browsed in Target for a while last week, and this is what I discovered.

While it was a decent sort of beach read, I was not all that impressed. The story line seemed unfinished, and characters were not entirely developed. It takes place during "Freedom Summer" in Tupelo, Mississippi, and there was some mention of racial issues, but these also felt unfinished and sorely incomplete.

I am starved for good books, and I really need some inspiration before going back to school. I'd love to experience some good Southern Lit or Magical Realism specifically. Summer leaves me craving a good read, and my beach bag needs to be full when I go in a couple of weeks! Suggestions are welcome.




No comments: