Thursday, October 08, 2009

Gratitude Post - 8 of 12


Hmmm. It's October 8th. Why do I feel like something is missing? Oh yeah, my due date was YESTERDAY and still no baby. The truth is, 80% of first time moms deliver after their due date - or so my doctor told me at yesterday's visit. He said we usually deliver within 5 days after, but all of my Bradley Method materials say 8 days, so who knows which is correct but either way, I am not abnormal....just big and tired and ready to meet my baby. (Why do I feel abnormal then? If one more person calls or texts in disbelief that I am still pregnant, I will SCREAM.)

So in all of the anxiety of the past few days, it's been hard to see what I can be grateful for. So for gratitude entry number 8, I am grateful for a healthy pregnancy.

Being pregnant is hard enough for sure. Your every action affects not only yourself but the vulnerable little one growing inside of you. You feel tired, sick, more anxious and emotional than usual, and you are so big at the end that the most generic daily activities are literally impossible sometimes. Time to feed the dogs? Oh wait, I can't do so without help because I can't bend over to get their water bowls. Slide in that booth at your favorite restaurant? Nope. Won't fit. And trust me, when you are beginning week 41 of this "condition," your patience is wearing off.


That said, I've had it so easy compared to many women, and I definitely recognize that. I was a little sick in the beginning and of course tired, but the baby has appeared healthy throughout my pregnancy. As the months progressed, I've been fortunate enough to remain active and exercising. I can't imagine how slowly the time would be passing if I had been on bed rest or worried about the health of the baby or his showing up too soon. So if I have to go an extra week or so to test my patience and make up for my lucky 9 months, so be it. I am grateful to have experienced this as easily as I have, and I hope labor and delivery follows the same pattern. With that in mind, pray that little one comes soon on his own time before I have to be induced. We're hoping for the best in the days ahead!




1 comment:

Tami said...

Katie, I am thinking of you! I will keep you guys in my thoughts for just as healthy of a delivery as your pregnancy hs been! Congratulations!